Department of Social Services
DSS Banner
John Redden, Commissioner
13 Durkee Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Phone: (518) 565-3300
Fax: (518) 561-8101
Children Preventive Services


What You Need to Know When Applying For Assistance
DSS Departments
When you are applying for help, you will be asked to supply proof of certain things such as those listed below. Your worker will advise you of what you must prove. If you bring proof with you when you first come in, you may be able to get the help you need sooner.
Note: For FOOD STAMPS, citizenship must be documented only if questionable. Citizenship or alien status does not need to be proven for pregnant women applying for MEDICAL ASSISTANCE only or for an undocumented alien applying for emergency medical assistance.
What you may be asked to prove
Examples of how to prove it
Who you are
Photo ID, Driver's License, US Passport
Age of each applying household member
Birth or baptismal certificate, hospital records, driver's license
Adult Protective
Where you live
Current rent receipt, mortgage records statement from non-relative landlord
Child Daycare
Shelter Expenses
Current rent receipt, current lease, mortgage records, property and school tax records, sewer and water bills, utility bills, telephone bills
Child Health Plus
Social Security Numbers
Social security card or proof that you have applied for Social Security numbers for every one in your household who is applying for assistance
Child Protective Services
Citizen or Alien Status
Birth certificate, US Passport, military service records, naturalization certificate, immigration and naturalization service documentation. SEE NOTE ABOVE.
Child Support Enforcement
Earned Income
Current pay stubs, tax records, business records, statement from roomer or boarder of amount paid for lodging
Court Adolescent Services
Unearned Income: (Examples of)
Proof: (Examples of)
Domestic Violence
Child Support
Statement from person paying support
Employment and Assistance
Social Security Benefits
Current benefit check or award letter
Family Type Home for Adults
Veteran's Benefits
Current benefit check, current award letter, official correspondence from Veteran's Administration
Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
Unemployment Insurance Benefits
Official correspondence from NY State Department of Labor
Food Stamps
Interest and Dividends
Statement from bank, credit union or broker
Foster Care
Educational Grants and Loans
Statement from school or bank current award letter
Fraud Unit
Worker's Compensation
Current award letter or check stubs
Home Care
Resources: (Examples of)
Proof: (Examples of)
Bank Accounts
Bank books or credit union records
Non-Parent Caregiver Information
Checking Accounts
Bank statements
Burial Trust or Fund
Bank statement or copy of funeral agreement
Supportive Services
Burial Plot or Agreement
Statement from cemetery, funeral director or church of funeral agreement
Telephone Directory
Life Insurance
Policy (If applying for FOOD STAMPS only, proof of this is not needed
Third Party Health Insurance
Real Estate Other than Where you Live
Deed, appraisal/estimate of current value by real estate broker
Motor Vehicle
Registration, title, financing information
Stocks and Bonds
Stock certificates, bonds
School Attendance of those Attending School
Records, statement from school
Health Insurance
Policy, insurance card, statement from provider of coverage, Medicaid card
Unpaid Rent or Utilities
Copy of each bill, statement from landlord or utility company
Paid or Unpaid Medical Bills
Copy of each bill
Absent Parent
Death certificate, survivors benefits, divorce papers, Veteran's assistance or military records. (If applying for FOOD STAMPS only, proof of this is not needed
Statement from medical professional, proof of Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits
Other Expenses/Dependent Care Expenses
Cancelled checks or receipts, statement from child care provider, court order, statement from aid or attendant
An emergency is an urgent need or a situation that has to be taken care of right away. Some examples of an emergency are:

You are Homeless

You have little or no food
Your landlord has told you that you must move or has given you a notice of impending eviction

You do not have fuel for heating in the cold weather period


Your utilities are shut off, about to be shut off or you have a notice of impending shut off


You or someone in your family has been beaten, abused threatened with violence by a husband, wife, partner or other member of your household


You have little or no income, few or no resources


The total of your income and resources are less than the total of your rent or mortgage plus heat, utilities and telephone


You are a migrant or seasonal worker

If you meet any or all of the above specifications contact our office as soon as possible.

When you arrive for the first time at Social Services you will be given an interview, ether that day or at another prearranged time, with one of our Screening Examiners. You and the Screener will discuss your current situation, which program you may qualify for and what requirements you will need to meet in order to be eligible. If you choose Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Food Stamps, Medicaid and/or Daycare, you will be given an application to complete. If you qualify for TANF and are able to work, you may be required to do a job search or meet with a representative of the Department of Labor. This is part of the "Work First" program to help our clients toward complete self-sufficiency. If you are employed you may be eligible for our Support Services programs. The screener may also refer you to other resources in the community, depending on your specific need. The screening area also does same day eligibility interviews for clients with "onetime" emergency / immediate needs.