Clinton County Office of the County Clerk  

Sue Ralston - Records Deputy
CLERK'S OFFICE HOURS: Monday – Friday 8-5
Dawn Chapple - DMV Deputy
Phone (518) 565-4700
Fax (518) 565-4718

Welcome to the Office of the Clinton County Clerk where you will find online access to records and extensive information about our services. I am extremely honored to serve as your County Clerk and welcome your questions, concerns, and suggestions.
John Zurlo County Clerk




Passport fees as of July 13th, 2010

Adults age 16 or older: 

Passport Book  $ 110.00
                                   Passport Card   $  30.00
Minors under the age of 16:  Passport Book  $ 80.00


Passport Card  $ 15.00

Or call : 518-565-4700

What form do I use?

First time applicants or those who are renewing an old passport which was obtained before the applicant’s 16th birthday must use form DS-11. This form may be both completed at and processed by the Office of the County Clerk. All others who are renewing a passport (must have been obtained after the applicant’s 16th birthday and issued less than 15 years ago) may use form DS-82. This form must be completed and mailed to the Passport Center by the applicant along with a $110.00 fee.

What must I provide with my application?
  1. Official birth certificate with a raised, embossed or multicolored seal, or previous U.S. passport, or original Naturalization or Citizenship Certificate.
  2. Official picture identification (Driver’s License)
  3. One passport pictures.
  4. The applicant’s social security number.
  5. A check or money order as described in question 3 below.
  6. Minors must be accompanied by both parents with official photo identification.
How much does it cost and how do I make out my checks?
  • The U.S. Department of State passport fees must be paid by a check or money order. The following fees apply to first time and minor applicants, or adults whose last passport was issued more than 15 years ago.
  • Passport Book:
    • Adults age 16 or older: $110.00
    • Minors under the age of 16: $80.00
  • Passport Card:
    • Adults age 16 or older: $30.00
    • Minors under the age of 16: $15.00
  • MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO: U.S. Department of State
  • The County Clerk processing fee is $25.00 per applicant, and applies to all DS-11 applications accepted in our office.
  • The cost of pictures taken in the County Clerk’s Office is $12.00 per applicant. County Clerk fees are payable by cash or check made payable to Clinton County Clerk.
When will I receive my passport?

Your passport will be processed at one of the nationwide passport centers and forwarded to you by one of these centers within 6 weeks. Processing times vary according to the time of the year.

What if I need it sooner than 6 weeks?

Please visit: for current information. 
If you will be traveling in less than 6 weeks, you must utilize the Expedite Service which is an extra $60.00 charge per applicant. If you are traveling in less than 21 days, we suggest you use both the Expedite Service and overnight mail both ways. You will receive your passport in approximately 2 weeks. If you are traveling in less than 14 days you must apply in person at one of the passport offices. The closest office is in St. Albans, Vermont. You may call ahead to get an appointment and for further information on requirements for receiving your passport. The Vermont Passport Agency's number is 877-487-2778.

What if I want to check the status of my passport?

Call the National Passport Information Center toll free at 1-877-487-2778, or visit their web site at:

Where can I get my pictures taken?

Pictures can be taken in the Clinton County Clerk’s Office, or at locations offering "official passport pictures". Passport pictures must comply with strict U.S. Passport Services requirements.

Will the documents I submitted with my application (old passport, naturalization or birth certificate) be returned to me?

With the exception of affidavits done specifically for application purposes, these documents will be returned.

When will my passport expire?

An adult’s passport is valid for 10 years. A minor’s passport is valid for 5 years.

How do I get a copy of my birth certificate?

Birth certificates can be obtained at the City or Town Clerk in the location where the birth took place. For births in New York State, but outside of New York City, they can also be obtained by calling 518-474-3077. For births in NYC call 212-788-4520.

Who should I call if I need more information?

Call the Clinton County Clerk’s Office at 565-4700 at 137 Margaret Street in Plattsburgh, NY 12901. Our office hours are 8 am to 5 pm Monday thru Friday.